Wednesday, September 25, 2013

green refectory, brunswick

Green Refectory has been my (no-longer) secret favourite brunch spot for the last 4 months or so. Located in the heart of Brunswick where other amazing coffee places are within 5-minute walking distances, green refectory makes a name for itself with its locality, simplicity and affordability.


Upon entering, you'll realise it is ridiculously squished and 90% of the time, you'll need to place yourself on one of the communal tables for a spot but I promise, it is all worthwhile. So, if you've arrived with a friend, have a look at the menu and split up so that you'll actually get a seat! When I was last there, I even saw a guy climb over the table to get to his seat. I promise it was more hilarious than feral. To me, that just yelled out "HOME" even more (except I don't have a chandelier casually hanging about in my house). 


If you're looking for some exquisite fancy brunch meals, then green refectory probably won't be the place you're looking for this time. The menu is simple, with the necessities on the board and what you'll realise is they are very cheap, especially for a brunch spot. Although it is simple, it ranges well from savoury to sweet with the special highlights like French toasts and smoked salmon. Also, the hot porridge with prunes and apricots sound absolutely delish that I will probably try that the next time I go back.

(L) flat white
(R) breakfast stack
potato pattie, bacon, grilled tomato, spinach, halloumi cheese, basil w a poached egg
The coffee, to me, was easy. It wasn't so much amazing, but it'd be a local coffee place were I to live in Brunswick myself. There was no odd after-taste and it was very smooth. Although, I sat on the left corner communal table and it was rather wobbly, so I think I ended up getting a fair amount of coffee on my saucer- very extremely depressing. I dare say, I was shooting lasers out of my eyes in fury. 

Ladies and gentlemen, the 'Breakfast Stack' of green refectory. One word, spectacular. So it may not look like much, but don't let its looks deceive you. Its portion was huge with just the right ratio of meat to potato to salsa to spinach. Having gone back a second time, I still didn't regret ordering this again just because it is such a satisfying dish. Although, I peeped over the ladies next to us and realised they ordered the same but with mushrooms added to it. I shall definitely try that the next time I go back, should I decide to order this again.

Note too that it was only $11 which meant I only paid ~$14 for my whole brunch experience. If you're a regular to the brunch arena, you'll know that brunches easily hit the $20 mark with coffee. So to pay less that $15 is a miracle and really, the perfect place for poor university students like myself!

green refectory
115 sydney rd 
brunswick 3065
9387 1150
price point: ~$12
Green Refectory on Urbanspoon
listening to: you're beautiful by phil wickham

No comments:

Post a Comment